Monday, June 3, 2019

On Mount Fuji (for every foreign visitors)

I have gotten this question this morning.

And since I got so many similar questions so much, I think I will write the answers here.

Question -------------------------------------------

Hello ,

I'm a climber and a musher too but in living in East Greenland. I've been on the Mt Fuji once and would like to go there at the end of October. Do you know if it is possible?

Greetings,

Mx_Greenland

-----------------------------------------


Here is my answer:


----------------------------------------

Hi Mx, thank you for asking.

End of October is not the right season to climb the mount Fuji, it is THE boring time.

I climbed it 5 years ago in May 30,
https://stps2snwmt.blogspot.com/2014/05/blog-post_31.html

It's in Japanese but you can see what is like by photos... it is a very easy Ist grade snow climb, i.e. alpine climbing. Took me 6 hours to get up, 2.5 hours to get down.

October is too soon for snow. Snow in Mt.Fuji is earliest is 2nd week of December.

And without snow, Mt. Fuji means NOTHING at all, it's a hiker's mountain. Even old ladies can climb.

Just in case, Mt Fuji in mid December to around end of February (depending on a year, ofcouse), is an expert season. It is because the sudden wind, which you can not win no matter how heavy you are, they will brew you off.

I.E. what makes winter Mt.Fuji, difficult to climb is only wind, that means you really need in depth knowledge in the weather, in the particular place, in the particular time, like you watch the mountain everyday while the season and you grab the right moment at the right time.

To gain the knowledge you got to go to the mountain so often too, is is safe up to half the altitude.

I lost my friend there in Dec.28. He knew nothing about mountain but he was an ice climber, who just begin.

So Mt. Fuji in summer is just an easy hike, even 80 years old lady can climb, but expert mountain in the mid winter.

Best compromise is March to early June, before rainy season, with snow gear, of course.

Snow walk is highly difficult for ordinary hikers.

But it is not at all for those who has experience with crampons. When I went to Mt. Fuji in end of May in 5 years ago, it was soooo easy, I felt is is almost flat. No steep at all.

But it depends on your experience. I climb WI 5 grade on lead so that means 90 degree is what I mean difficult.

On the contrary, October is the best season for free climbing.

Ogawayama in October is superb. Ogawayama is called Yosemite in Japan.
Many climbers goes there that season, and camping is cheap like 700 yen a night.

https://allnevery.blogspot.com/2016/11/last-night-dinner-sushi-catering.html

I hope this will help

Chao

-------------------------------------

■ conclusion

Goto Ogawayama instead of Mt.Fuji, because that is what all the climbers will do.






No comments:

Post a Comment